Batu Pahat City Online Portal
City InfoLocal NewsCity MapsDirectoryJobsClassifiedsForumsMovies
BP.MY Discussion Forums » Local News
Award Winner Faiza Aspires To Set Up Foundation To Help Needy
Posted by NewsBot on 2/03/2010 10:48:16 a.m. Reply to this post

One of six national 'Tokoh Maulidur Rasul' award winners, Faiza Bawumi Sayed Ahmad, aspires to set up a foundation called Yayasan Faiza, to help the poor and needy.

Faiza, a successful businesswoman and the managing director of Syarikat Faiza Sdn Bhd, a company synonymous with a charity programme on television, called "Bersamamu" hopes to set up the foundation to help the poor and single mothers.

"From what I have seen and experienced during my many visits to various places, I have seen how the poor and single mothers suffer and I had always wanted to set up a foundation to offer help to them.

"I am in the business not just to seek profit but also to help in providing charity to the poor because they (poor and single mothers) also deserve a decent lifestyle," she told Bernama here.

Faiza also urged the Muslim community to strive for excellence and stay united so as to bring about development and contribute towards the economy of the country.

"We must be united to remain strong because when we are weak and disorganized, we can be easily misled by irresponsible people," said the Egypt-born Faiza who followed her late Malaysia-born husband Abu Bakar Ahmad (Malaysian) in 1964.

Faiza, 68, said in line with the theme for this year's celebration 'Strengthening Brotherhood, Empowering the Community' ("Memantapkan Ukhuwah, Memperkasa Ummah"), all Muslims must follow the teachings of Al-Qur'an and be tolerant in whatever they did.

"Once, a non-Malay trader asked me the difference between two types of crabs, a Malay crab and a non-Malay crab. At first I did not understand what the trader meant but the trader explained that when a Malay crab tries to climb over a barrier, another Malay crab will drag it down while a non-Malay crab will help another to overcome the barrier by providing help," she said.

Faiza who has a diploma in tailoring, first started off her business venture as a tailor before moving into the spice trade and later opened a mini-mart in the 1970s.

She slowly expanded her business and became a supplier for rice in 1982 before setting up Syarikat Faiza Sdn Bhd in 1992, a company that processes and distributes rice and based in Batu Pahat.

The mother of seven children and 32 grandchildren also hopes the Muslim community would emulate Prophet Muhammad's ways.

Faiza's company distributes 21 types of rice in the country with "Ponni Taj Mahal Herbal" rice being its flag ship brand while Faiza Marketing Sdn Bhd manufactures and distributes various types of spices and curry powder.

Despite her busy schedule, Faiza always spared time for charity work and heads a number of associations like Pemborong Beras Bumiputera Malaysia, Pertubuhan Kebajikan Islam Malaysia (Perkim) Batu Pahat, Batu Pahat Umno Division (Head of Welfare Bureau) and sits on the Batu Pahat Board and trustee of the Batu Pahat orphanage.

She has also won numerous award for her contributions and services to the community like 'Wanita Anggun 2005', 'Tokoh Ibu Mithali Perkim 2007', 'Wanita Nadi Negara peringkat Johor 2007' and 'Tokoh Guru 2009 Special Award'.

All comments are owned by whoever posted them. BP.MY is not responsible for them in any way.

Post A Reply

[ Contact Us | Member Login ]