Parit Raja is located about 22km east of Batu Pahat, and about 10km from Sri Gading. It was founded in the early 20th Century, with a few zinc-roof huts and wooden houses cluttered along the stream, connected only by wooden bridges.
Parit Raja was once known as the "Big Port" because residents here used to travel and trade along the stream, which at the time may seem like a significant trading port to outsiders.
When Tun Hussein Onn was the MP of Sri Gading, he advocated a lot of industrial and commercial developments in the area. As a result, Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (KUiTTHO)
is named after him.
SJK(C) Kong Nan is the only primary school in the area, which was founded in 1937
Taman Siswa Jaya is a new residential and commercial development situated between Parit Raja and Sri Gading. It is built to cater the influx of students and professionals attracted by the nearby University.